January 28th, 2014Ed Terris Scholarship Applications Now Being Accepted
ED TERRIS MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIPS
WHO WAS ED TERRIS?
Ed Terris was an outstanding teacher and coach. He taught for many years at North Delta Secondary School and then moved into Administration at what was then Sands Junior Secondary School as its first Vice-Principal. Ed then worked in the Abbotsford School District as a Principal until his retirement.
WHERE DOES THE MONEY FOR THESE SCHOLARSHIPS COME FROM?
These Scholarships have been developed mostly through the hard work of many of Ed's former basketball players at North Delta Secondary School. Ed was a very successful coach for many years and two of his teams were B.C. Junior Basketball Champions in the early 1970's.
There has also been a great contribution from Ed's former coaching and teaching colleagues as well as other friends he has made through his great love for golf. A Golf Tournament was held each year in Ed's honor and the proceeds from this event are the main source of funding for the scholarships provided each year as well as other charitable donations made in Ed's name.
HOW MUCH IS EACH SCHOLARSHIP WORTH?
This year's Scholarships go to graduating seniors (one male and one female) in the amount of$1000 each. These scholarships are open to students throughout the province.
- The successful applicant will attend a Canadian University or college. ln the case of a close decision preference may be given to an applicant who is staying in British Columbia.
- The successful applicant wiII have demonstrated a high degree of volunteerism both in the school and in the community.
- The successful applicant will have demonstrated a degree of success on the basketball court that reflects Ed 's ideals of unselfishness, hard work and team play.
Financial need may be a consideration.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP?
- Application for a scholarship must be made directly to Basketball BC. Click HERE to download the application form.
- There will be one scholarship awarded to a high school graduating male and one to a high school graduating female
- Obtain and include a letter of reference from each of the following:
- Your most recent basketball coach
- A teacher or administrator (other than your coach)
4. In 1-2 pages outline your basketball involvement including any relevant statistics
and awards. Also include any other references that you believe are important to be
5. Send this information to:
Executive Director, BBC
210-7888 200th Street
Langley, BC V2Y 3J4
NOTE: ALL MATERIALS MUST ARRIVE BY MAY 25, 2014
The recipients will be notified in early June and the $1000 scholarship money sent upon proof of registration at a CIS or BCAA school.