WHO WAS ED TERRIS?
Ed Terris was an outstanding teacher and coach. He taught for many years at North Delta Secondary School and then moved into Administration at what was then Sands Junior Secondary School as its first Vice-Principal. Ed then worked in the Abbotsford School District as a Principal until his retirement.
WHERE DOES THE MONEY FOR THESE SCHOLARSHIPS COME FROM?
These Scholarships have been developed mostly through the hard work of many of Ed's former basketball players at North Delta Secondary School. Ed was a very successful coach for many years and two of his teams were B.C. Junior Basketball Champions in the early 1970's.
There has also been a great contribution from Ed's former coaching and teaching colleagues as well as other friends he has made through his great love for golf. A Golf Tournament was held each year in Ed's honor and the proceeds from this event are the main source of funding for the scholarships provided each year as well as other charitable donations made in Ed's name.
HOW MUCH IS EACH SCHOLARSHIP WORTH?
This year's Scholarships go to 3 graduating seniors in the amount of$1000 each. These scholarships are open to students throughout the province.
1. The successful applicant will attend a Canadian University or college. ln the case o f a close decision preference m ay be give n to a n applicant who is stay in g i n British Columbia
2. The successful applicant w i II have demonstrated a high degree of volunteerism both in the school and in the community.
3. The successful applicant will have demonstrated a degree of success on the basketball court that reflects Ed's idea ls of unselfishness, hard work and team play
4. Financial need may be a consideration.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP?
I Application for a scholarship must be mad e directly to Basketball BC
2. There will be three scholarship awarded to high school graduates
3. Obtain and include a letter of reference from each of the following:
• Most recent basketball coach
• A teacher or administrator (other than your coach)
4. In 1 page outline your basketball involvement, including any relevant statistics and awards. Also include any other references that you believe are important to be considered. Please include a picture – with permission to publish
5. Send this information to:
Executive Director, BBC
210-7888 200th Street
Langley, BC V2Y 3J4
NOTE: ALL MATERIALS MUST ARRIVE BY MAY 1, 2016
The recipients will be notified in early June and the $1000 scholarship money sent upon proof of registration at a CIS or BCAA school